Too_Many_Tools

Default Problem: Squirrel in Fireplace Insert!

Pop quiz for the qroup : How many vent pipes does YOUR house have?

Extra credit : What other three items should the house have?

Answers shown below.

===

Actually you make a very good point that anyone should remember when
installing plumbing.

The squirrel (or what was left of him) did effectively plug the vent
pipe with no effect on the functionality of the plumbing.

What saved my plumbing (and maybe my family's life)?

The fact that my plumbing in the house has three different vent pipes.

Redundancy in design is always good and graceful failure should be the
rule not the exception.

Lesson learned...make darn sure your plumbing has more than one vent
pipe.

===

Answer to the above pop quiz : If you read this far, you know it
should have more than one. Does yours?

Extra credit answers : Smoke detector, CO detector and an owner who
makes sure they are working every night before he goes to sleep.

Bob Engelhardt wrote in message ...
Too_Many_Tools wrote:
... a sewer vent pipe up on my roof. Upon
investigation, I pulled out a very dead and decomposed squirrel from
the pipe. I am very lucky it did not get further down and plug my
sewer.

Lucky too that it did not plug the vent pipe itself. A plugged vent can
mean traps siphoning, bad odors in the house, and frustration trying to
figure WTF is going on.

My "stuck animal" story involves a grackle, IIRC. I was replacing the
gas water heater and in reconnecting the 4" exhaust pipe I discovered
the very dead grackle inside it. Now a grackle is a pretty large bird
and 4" isn't a very large pipe. It scared me to think how close we'd
come to having that pipe blocked and fumes coming into the house.

Bob