Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Electrical wiring gone wild - not a question

Friends home had fire, little insurance. I was demoing a wall and found
a romex line running between floors joined about halfg way with a knot
and wirenuts, it was hanging in the wall. no box no nothing...

yes sir short on wire just tie a knot

found most romex wasnt anchored to box at all, house filled with K&T
some visibly singed and connecftions and solder melted. electrician had
been there earlier supposedly safetied things. homeowner touched wall
and sparks flew. seems someone had papered over box she had lived there
for years and didnt know a box was there.someone blew in cellouse in
cavities with K&T the list was endless..

I installed a temporary service to all 3 floors with one master light
switch and plenty of outlets on 4 20 amp breakers and cut everything
else clear...... I cut the wires off short so no bozo would reconnect
them! homeowner kept saying well reuse this. here I will clean this box
so it can be used, straighten this romex cant you use it over there?(

by this time the homeowner had fired the fire restoration copany, what
a ripoff.

Homeowner had home COMPLETELY professionally it still amazes me the
hoiuse fire and its 130K in damage wasnt started by wiring, a cat
knocked over a lamp