GTO69RA4

Default portable welder

That's expensive as far as cheap welders go. You could get one off eBay for
probably $45 brand new. However, stuff in this range is basically for light
hobby work. Sticking together a handrail, fixing a rusty mower deck, etc. You
_could_ do what you want to, but it would take a while and probably wouldn't
been too good a weld. These little welders are also a PITA to use.

I'd see if could find a used 220V AC stick welder for sale locally. Do you
have a classifieds magazine in your area?

GTO(John)

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PMAKA=140-0005

I was complaining on another site about my crucible problem and how I
didn't have a welder. Someone said "so just buy one". I had no idea
that welders could be so cheap.

I'm not planning to buy one, but I am interested in more information.
Could the welder as linked above do the welding that I need done? (If
you don't remember, I have a 4" pipe nipple to attach to an endcap....or
I did; now I'm planning to go another route.) Would it survive a trip
through a ~1500 F furnace? How much experience/training is required to
use something like this?