Posted to uk.d-i-y
David Hansen David Hansen is offline

Default Double Glazing

On 30 Oct 2006 06:44:31 -0800 someone who may be
wrote this:-

I am due to move into a new house in a couple of weeks which has a
rotten front bay window which I will be looking to replace very soon.
I am wondering the cheapest way to replace this with double glazing and
was hopeing that someone may be able to give me some advice with the
following questions..

which tends to be cheaper, large national companies or local tradesmen?

The latter.

is it better to measure and buy the wondows first then just get someone
in to fit them?

Depends. However, if you don't measure them then you are
transferring the risk to your builder.

is it difficult to fit your own double glazing?

No, the rebates are deeper then for single glazing though. Note that
in a bay window one needs to hold the roof of the bay up while the
windows are installed.

Note also that if you live in one of several sorts of area then it
is best to converse with the council first regarding planning
permission.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh