Posted to uk.d-i-y
David Hansen David Hansen is offline

Default replacing CU

On 29 Oct 2006 15:13:41 -0800 someone who may be "Staffbull"
wrote this:-

My Father's asked me to replace his fusebox for a slit load CU, he
doesn't want to rewire the house which I have suggested as its rubber
cable. I havent looked at the job propery yet but my question is, what
to do if the cables are too short for the new places in the new CU?

To add to what the others have said, if you try this you will
probably find that the insulation of the wires coming into the
existing consumer unit crumbles as you work on them. You will then
end up with bare wires. How long they are will be the least of your
troubles.

I would prefer to at least fit the CU as it will offer more protection
than they have now, which basically is nowt !!

It is unlikely the existing installation has no protective devices.
Trying to do half the job will almost certainly make the
installation more dangerous.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh