Posted to alt.home.repair
Proctologically Violated©® Proctologically Violated©® is offline

Default Gas heaters? ? ?

Even these suck, imo.
They *clearly* change the air quality, add boucou vapor into the room.
I have one in my shop, a 20,000+ btu unit.
I use it for a while to take the chill off the whole shop, then use
electric, or a dehumidifier (like a half-assed heat pump). They do put out
a lot of heat, so I would use them judiciously, in conjuntion w/ other
methods.
Ever-preparing for The Grand Insertion
Party Nominee, IPPVM
Independent Party of the Proctologically Violated®© (M)asses
"That's proly not a hemorrhoid you're feeling.... "
all d'numbuhs
"Speedy Jim" wrote in message
.. .
Ray wrote:

I live in an 80-year-old six-unit apartment building, and the single-pipe
steam radiator system doesn't work all that well.

I'd like to put in supplemental heating, and one good possibility seems
to be a natural gas stove-heater.

I see that there are vented and unvented models. It seems to me that
unvented might be a bit dangerous.

But I remember that years ago, many houses had room gas heaters with no
venting at all. You just lit them, and the heat filled the room -- gas
fumes and all -- and I don't remember any bad results.

Any guidance welcome.

The new unvented heaters with ox depletion sensor are quite good.

BUT....even these are generally prohibited in sleeping rooms.
Some cities ban the heaters for *all* uses...period. Ask first.

Jim