Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking
blueman blueman is offline

Default Fixing cracks in wooden "quoins" (corner blocks) in Italianate house...

Our 140yr old Italianate house has beautiful wooden quoins forming the
corners of the house. Each side of the corner looks like a series of
blocks with raised panel centers.

Unfortunately, many of the quoins now have horizontal cracks in the
wood up to 1/8" or so wide. I would like to repair rather than replace
them since matching the detail and quality of wood would be very
expensive.

I could obviously just have a field day with caulk, but I was
wondering whether there was a better way of restoring the wood. I
considered using a wood epoxy but wondered whether the gaps are too
narrow and how it will behave under seasonal contraction/expansion.

So any suggestions on how to patch up these cracks?

Thanks!!!