Posted to alt.home.repair
PaPaPeng PaPaPeng is offline

Default Noisy refrigerator

On 27 Oct 2006 12:18:34 -0700, "Nuallain"
wrote:

Thanks I did that. When I shake the compressor there is something
loose in there that seems to be the culprit.

The compressor inside the canister has four rubber grommets that are
snucked onto four springs welded to the floor of the canister. The
compressor is thus suspended in the middle of the canister for noise
and vibration isolatation. One of the grommets must have popped off a
spring. This can happen if you laid the fridge flat when you moved
house. The canister is sealed. This grommet problem cannot be
repaired. With time the power cord inside the canister will fracture.
Then its a new fridge for you. With one grommet out of anchor the
compressor motor will twist due to the start-up torque and hit the
side of the canister. Clunk. Same thing when the compressor motor
stops. The torque will cause the motor to hit the canister wall
again. Clunk.