Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default replacing CU

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article .com,
Staffbull wrote:

My Father's asked me to replace his fusebox for a slit load CU, he
doesn't want to rewire the house which I have suggested as its rubber
cable. I havent looked at the job propery yet but my question is, what
to do if the cables are too short for the new places in the new CU?

If it really does have any rubber cable don't even touch it as it will
fall apart.

I would prefer to at least fit the CU as it will offer more protection
than they have now, which basically is nowt !!

I'd simply fit an RCD before the existing fusebox, etc.

this will promptly ensure they have no leccy supply. And may still
leave you legally liable. I suspect you might be opening yourself up to
a small risk of serious charges for hooking up a 50 yr old installation
in who knows what condition.

A split load CU wont offer much more safety anyway, mcbs are no safer
than fuses, expect when in the hands of suicidal darwinian morons, and
loss of earth at the socket is not an especially high ranking risk with
old wiring. RCD will protect against L-E shorts, but not L-N, but this
is only so if the RCD is workable in the first place. Even if the
wiring is still sound, which is not impossible, the usual bakelite
switches with no snap action would quickly take out the rcd.

NT