Posted to alt.home.repair
Paul Bunion Paul Bunion is offline

Default Burning green/wet firewood

Ook wrote:
What are the real dangers of burning green/wet firewood? I had a good
hot bed of coals going in my wood stove, and I stuck in what turned
out to be a couple of green chunks of wood (was not intentional).
They quickly burst into flame and burned fairly well, though a bit
slower then the dry stuff. Are there conditions, such as a hot
established fire, where you can burn green/wet wood, if it burns
quickly and well?

Wet or unseasoned wood greatly increases the accumulation of creosote.
The large amount of moisture from burning wet wood condenses in the
chimney and adds to creosote formation as well as the acrid odor. The
periodic use of a good liquid or powder chimney cleaner which is sprayed
on the burning wood is essential to the wood burner. This type of
product will not elminiate the need to clean your chimney or the
formation of creosote, but it will make the cleaning task much easier.

Creosote - Creosote can be defined as a combustible deposit in the
venting system which begins as condensed wood smoke including tar fogs
and vapors. Creosote is a by-product of incomplete combustion. If a fuel
is fully burned there will be no smoke and, therefore, no creosote.
Creosote will be hard brown or black and form either curly, flaky
deposits or bubbly deposits in the venting system. Creosote is flammable.

The reply is quoted from both http://hearth.com/what/guidelines.html and
http://www.rutland.com/info/creoedit.htm