Posted to alt.home.repair
Howard Howard is offline

Default Transporting An Extension Ladder With A Car: How ?

You may consider hanging it on the passenger side of the car by tying
ropes front and back (I use the hood and trunk hinges as a tie point).
Of course pad the ladder where it rests against the sheetmetal.

Eigenvector wrote:
"Robert11" wrote in message
. ..
Hello:

Have the problem of transporting a typical 20 ft. Werner extension ladder.

Only have a car (Buick LeSabre) and it's probably a bit much to just hang
out of the trunk.

I can try the ski carriers that I still have from years ago and see if
they will
fit on the Buick, but was wondering if anyone has any other clever ideas
on what to do ?

I remember they used to make heavy foam blocks to place on a canoes
gunwales, so the canoe
copuld easily be carried upside down on the roof of a car without maring
the paint (tied down, of course).

Is there anything like this available for carrying a ladder, perhaps ?

Any other thoughts on ?

Thanks,
Bob

Those ski racks that you mentioned would work just fine. My buddy uses his
Torino to haul long things and the ski rack works fine AS LONG AS YOU SECURE
THE LOAD.