Posted to alt.home.repair
Speedy Jim Speedy Jim is offline

Default Gas heaters? ? ?

Ray wrote:

I live in an 80-year-old six-unit apartment building, and the single-pipe
steam radiator system doesn't work all that well.

I'd like to put in supplemental heating, and one good possibility seems to
be a natural gas stove-heater.

I see that there are vented and unvented models. It seems to me that
unvented might be a bit dangerous.

But I remember that years ago, many houses had room gas heaters with no
venting at all. You just lit them, and the heat filled the room -- gas fumes
and all -- and I don't remember any bad results.

Any guidance welcome.

The new unvented heaters with ox depletion sensor are quite good.

BUT....even these are generally prohibited in sleeping rooms.
Some cities ban the heaters for *all* uses...period. Ask first.

Jim