Posted to alt.home.repair
Frank Frank is offline

Default Gas heaters? ? ?

George wrote:
Ray wrote:
I live in an 80-year-old six-unit apartment building, and the single-pipe
steam radiator system doesn't work all that well.

I'd like to put in supplemental heating, and one good possibility seems to
be a natural gas stove-heater.

I see that there are vented and unvented models. It seems to me that
unvented might be a bit dangerous.

But I remember that years ago, many houses had room gas heaters with no
venting at all. You just lit them, and the heat filled the room -- gas fumes
and all -- and I don't remember any bad results.

Maybe you can't recall anything because of all that exposure to
combustion byproducts? But seriously I can't ever remember any of the
older equipment that didn't give me a headache and a "blah" feeling.
The newer electronic control units with good flame control and oxygen
sensors etc seem to be a lot better.

Any guidance welcome.

Unvented scares me. Friend put in his hunting camp when he got gas for
free from people that have mineral rights to property. I know that the
new units have sensors to protect against low oxygen and carbon
monoxide, but I'd rather not have to rely on them when I'm asleep.
You're still going to have to breathe combustion products and will get
extra moisture. I'd get vented or electric space heaters.

Frank