Posted to sci.electronics.repair
James Sweet James Sweet is offline

Default Soldering a Broken TV

wrote:
I started having trouble with my TV after it was moved in a U-Haul from
San Francisco to Seattle. I managed to locate a faulty solder joint on
the board. Applying pressure to the joint with a strip of wood fixes
the problem.

My problem is this: I am very experienced with electronics and
soldering, but I have little experience when it comes to high voltage.
I need to fix the solder joint but I have no hardware to properly
discharge any high voltage capacitors in the TV. I don't think this is
a problem as the faulty solder joint is attached to what appears to be
a FET. However, it could also be a triac, which could mean that it's
attached to a HV part of the circuit. I don't want to stick my head in
there to find out exactly what it is. Would you advise fixing the
solder joint without first discharging the TV?

Thanks in advance!

Just get in there and solder it, if the set has been unplugged for a few
days there's no risk.