Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Sam Goldwasser Sam Goldwasser is offline

Default Soldering a Broken TV

CJT writes:

Ken G. wrote:

You dont need to discharge anything to do some soldering . The charge is
held up under that big suction cup on the picture tube . Simply turn the
set off and wait a few minutes for the filter capacitors to discharge by
themselves , turn the board over then solder .
In some cases when you walk up to a tv and touch metal parts you may get
a static zap just like you do from the car door or door knob in your
house .

That "big suction cup" has a wire extending from it to the HV section.
Touching any bare section of that wire (although there shouldn't be
any), or of the parts in the HV section to which it's attached, can
give you a big surprise.

The picture tube itself holds the charge.

In nearly all CRT TVs and monitors less tha 30 years old, it goes directly
into the flyback and bare sections would be extermely unlikely.