Posted to uk.d-i-y
Terry Terry is offline

Default Maplin - mains transformers

Derek ^ wrote:
In those days components were typically re-marked RS ...
DG

I often wondered how much their insistence on re-marking cost RS.

Often it was obvious that the manufacture hade modified the mould to
obliterate their own name and add RS.

Then there was their insistence on all plastic being grey, so different
materials were needed as well as moulds.

You could usually tell who made most components just by comparing
samples.

I remember when they introduced their first range is TTL DIL ICs (7400
series). The original markings were covered up by a layer of black
gloss paint with just the type number stamped on top in white (but so
large that it was much easier to read than most, if not all, other
ICs!)

Often our rep would tell you the original manufacturer if you asked
nicely. However, when I changed jobs, the RS rep there was a snotty
so-and-so who would only answer "RS" to every query.

I remember when he turned up the day after I'd returned from a visit to
Wales with his little sample case of new 'goodies'. When I asked "who
makes that?", pointing to a particular component, he promptly answered
"RS!".

So I asked "who makes your pots?". "RS!" he said. "Strange," said I,
"yesterday I was looking at some of your pots undergoing life-testing
at AB Electronics factory at Abercynon!" We didn't get much of a
response, but the look on his face was very interesting!

Terry