Posted to rec.woodworking
Randy Dickinson Randy Dickinson is offline

Default Unisaw Bullet motor problem. Need help

Hello,

Nice you fixed your old moter. My dad used to sell the Delta line in
the late 30's and early 40's in LA. He had a 1941 Unisaw with a 1ph
repulsion induction motor. It was still working fine when my son sold
it about 10 years ago. I have some old Deltagrams that advertise the
saw, $50 for the saw and $50 for the motor. These deltagrams are from
the same time. For those who have forgotten, the Deltagram was the
little magazine Delta published to promote woodworking and their tools
with projects in them around the advertising and pictures of peoples
shops.

Take care,

Randy

On 24 Oct 2006 09:43:11 -0700, "sailor" wrote:

sailor wrote:
I have an older Unisaw with a 1 hp Bullet motor.

It started acting up today. When I turn it on, it runs at reduced speed
for about 10 seconds, then kicks in to hi speed.

Sometines when it is turned on it just makes an unhappy hum. I then
rotate the blade a bit, and turn on again, and it starts and runs at
reduced speed for about 10 seconds, then kicks in to hi speed.

When it is running at reduced speed, the brushes (lots of brush left)
arc a bit. When it kicks to hi speed, the arcing stops. I think the
brushes might be just for starting.

Anyone familiar with these motors, and have an idea of the problem?

Thanks

PROBLEM SOLVED!!!
After calling 2 motor shops, and getting no suggestions from 1, just
bring it in and we will tear it apart. The other shop told me it could
be the circular switch on the end of the commutater. He said it might
just need to be cleaned, but to be careful taking it apart, as there
are a lot of small parts.

I took the end off the motor, while it was still on the saw. As I
started to remove the end, I remembered to mark the end and housing,
for alignment. I did this after moving the end a little.
I removed the e hold down screws that hold the brush assembly, so the
brushes would stay in place.
I found that 2 of the 4 brushes were sticking in their brush holders. A
little solvent, and light sanding, and after it was back together, it
worked! At first it didn't start and looked like it wanted to turn the
wrong way. I loosened the brush ring screws and shifted the ring about
1/16" and all was perfect. I must have moved the motor end a little
before marking it. Adjusting the brushes took care of it.
I didn't get into the switch.

If you have a Bullet motor,or other type, keep this in mind if yours
has problems.

I guess I'll have to buy the saw a present! New miter gauge sounds
good!