Posted to alt.home.repair
Brad Behm Brad Behm is offline

Default dryer - no heat - 240V

Some dryers use only 120 volts for the motor and the controls and the full
240 volts only for the heating element. Before you take the dryer apart to
check the element etc, use a volt meter across the hot legs of the 240 volt
outlet. If you read 240, fine. If nothing, check each hot leg against the
neutral. One will show 120 volts and the other zero. If that's the case you
probably have a loose connection at the outlet. BTW a 40 amp circuit for a
dryer is unusual. If the wire is 10 gauge going out of the panel, which is
typical for a dryer circuit, you should reduce that breaker to a 30 amp.
Otherwise in an overload situation you risk overheating the wires before the
breaker trips.

"dpb" wrote in message
ps.com...

Tony Hwang wrote:
Paul wrote:

I have a 1 yr old frigidaire dryer that suddenly has no heat. I
replaced
the 40amp breaker with a new Siemens 40amp but still no luck. I've
acquired a analog multi-meter and the voltage is correct on the outlet
as it should be. This is an older house with a breaker panel and no
fuse
box so what else should I be looking for at this point?

Hmmm,
Logic tells me to look at the safety(Over heat) limit sensor first. Then
heating element. You are working BACKWARD! No wiring diagam on the dryer?

Just a quibble, but I'd go at it _expecting_ the element to be gone and
only when that turns out not to be the case go to anything else.

W/ the electric dryer, when symptom is no heat but drum turns---don't
recall it ever being anything else over some 40 years.