Posted to alt.home.repair
Art Art is offline

Default Central Vac not picking up anything.

Most central units have a connector available right on the unit and a power
on switch. Check suction at the unit. If none there then the clog or fan
problem is right at the unit. Some Nutone units have lifetime motor
warranty for original owner so if you have a Nutone with a motor problem, be
sure to call someone who services Nutone units. I think the warranty
includes labor. Newer Nutone have shorter warranties.

"Paul Franklin" wrote in message
On 28 Oct 2006 19:03:02 -0700, "edumacatedfoo"
wrote:

Hi Everyone,

This is my first posting. So please don't flame if i'm not doing this
properly.
I have a problem with my home's central vacuum.
It's an old home (about 20 years), the vacuum pipes run through all 3
floors of the house (basement,main and 2nd).
For some reason, the vacuum suddenly went to a very low suction rate,
about 5% of what it used to be. I checked the hose and it's fine. I
even used a plumbing snake but could only go so far into the lines and
I haven't picked up anything in the lines that would account for the
decrease in suction.
I'm not sure about the layout of the lines and that may be a big factor
in finding/fixing this clogged system.
I can also go into the garage and post the model/make of the vacuum.

Anyone have any solutions they've tried or any suggestions as to what
my next steps should be concerning the problem would be very helpfull
and appreciated.

Thanks and sorry if this isn't the right newsgroup for the question.

Is it the bagless kind with a removable dust bin on the bottom of the
motor unit and a vent to outside?

If so, unplug it, remove the dust bin, and reach way up inside. You
will find a metal screen. Chances are you will find it plugged with
hair and dust. Scrape as much off as you can, and then get a brush
and brush the rest off. (This is a dirty job, be prepared with a can
underneath to catch all the stuff.

If that isn't the problem, you probably have a clog. If it affects
all the vacuum inlets, then the first place to look is where the inlet
and outlet lines attach to the motor unit. There are usually flexible
couplings held on with clamps. Loosen the clamps, pull the line out,
and make sure there is no clog there. You can run your snake as far
up the line in from that point too.

HTH,

Paul