Posted to alt.home.repair
John Gilmer John Gilmer is offline

Default Underground pipe is leaking!

"Natalia" wrote in message
ups.com...
Help!

We just bought this adorable 2 br townhouse in Countryside Sterling VA
20165 and there's a leak in the water line right in front of the house
under the ground =(

has anyone else had this problem?

Well, about 10 years ago when we lived in a place with "public water" there
was a VERY hard freeze and the next morning the pipe was broken. The break
was "before the meter" so the water company (actually the county) fixed it.

If the water company/authority will fix it, you are off the hook.

They have an incentive to fix it quickly because they aren't getting paid
for the water.

If it turns out you "own" the pipe you have to dig down to expose the bad
section. If it was just something that happened (an undetected flaw in the
pipe that finanlly failed) you might be able to "fix" it with some kind of
rubber or plasted "patch" hend in place by stainless clamps. "They" sell
"patches" that you can slip around a leak.

If the damage was more serious than can be fixed with a "patch" you may have
to get the water company to turn off the water. If you do the digging, a
plumber might be able to do the job quickly and he will know the "mechanics"
of getting the water turned off and back on.

if yes, any advice?

thank you for any help in advance.

sincerely,

n. lueck