Posted to alt.home.repair
Sacramento Dave Sacramento Dave is offline

Default Leaky copper joint.

"PVR" wrote in message
I am totally finishing my basement (seven rooms) including installing a
bathroom. I want to be able to say I did it all myself. I have installed
about 50' of half inch copper with seven stopvalves and about 25 joints
(straight, T's and L bends). I used presoldered joints. With some
trepidation I opened the hot and cold stopvalves and found that just one of
the L joints had a very slight leak. The whole system is not an artistic
success but it is functional (except for the leak). The L joint is about 2"
from one wall and 3" from another (it is in a corner) so that seeing behind
the joint is not easy.

How should I deal with this? I know I have to drain the water from that
part of the system. Do I need to remove the L joint and replace it? Would
it be possible to apply flux to the two pipes and then add extra solder?

Would appreciate any suggestions.

Peter.

Drain the water out of the line you might have to cut a coupling in You can
try to heat the area then while hot add flux then add solder. If that works
take the rest of the pre soldered fitting place on floor tap with hammer
until flat close to $2 a pound for scrap.