Posted to rec.woodworking
RicodJour RicodJour is offline

Default Hats off, gentlemen. A genius!

C & S wrote:
I would love to be able to do work like that. I wouldn't do it

because it
is ridiculous, but I wish I could.

He's getting as much as $38,000 for one piece. Still ridiculous?

I agree that it's rediculous. I think wood is a perfectly legitimate medium
for sculpture, but for dead-to nuts representational art it does not leave
much opportunity "follow" the medium. IMO, it's as if the sclpture was
executed in spite of the medium rather than coming forth from the meduim.

How is his work ridiculous? His humorous pieces, like the VW boat, are
terrific. It's not a "serious" piece but it's nice to look at,
exhibits a lot of skill, is functional and puts smiles on peoples'
faces. His more straightforward pieces take everyday items and makes
you look at them again.

I also don't know that the medium dictates such "form follows function"
type of rules. Those are the artist's choices. The David would have
been a far different work in sandstone, limestone, granite or whatever.

This http://www.liviodemarchi.com/ukmain3.htm is an amazing work. The
wood choice certainly doesn't interfere with the representational art
part.

Which is not to diminish the craftsmanship... it's just not my cup of tea.

It's well beyond craftsmanship, certainly art and astonishing
regardless of what criteria you use to view it.