Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony Hwang Tony Hwang is offline

Default circuit breaker questions

Nate Nagel wrote:

OK... went shopping today for new circuit breakers. I'm now more
confused than ever. I'm attempting to add some additional branch
circuits to my house (see previous thread "house wired without
separate ground - problem?" he

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.h...1f663 31684da

if you're just joining the saga) anyway, I am learning how little I
know about electrical stuff despite feeling fairly familiar with the
basics. I have an ITE/Siemens load center with ITE type QP (I think?)
breakers in it. They appear to be standard breakers; looking at the
assortment of breakers available at Home Despot it appears that GE,
Square-D Homeline, and Cutler-Hammer breakers are all pretty much the
same. However, none of them specifically said that they were *LISTED*
for use in a Siemens panel. So what do I do? Also, what do HACR and
CTL mean? I'm not entirely sure I understand, even after a cursory
Google search. In an ideal world, I'd like to use a couple "tandem"
15A and 20A breakers if I could, to leave a double height slot free in
case I wanted to add a 240V appliance in the future.

Also, I was unable to find any of the "Madison straps" referenced in
the previous thread; does anyone know where I could order them online?
Sadly, Home Despot seems to be my only choice, I hit two independent
hardware store and there selection of electrical stuff was even more
limited.

thanks,

nate

Secondary question: Are the new AFCI's really worth it? and does
anyone make an AFCI breaker for my load center? Is it possible to use a
GFCI outlet on an AFCI-protected circuit? One of the circuits that is
still ungrounded in this house serves all the bedrooms, is why I'm asking.

thanks,

nate

Hi,
If you're not in real hurry, first take a look at one of the breaker in
the panel, note the model no. type, etc. And go to a on-lin breaker
supllier, order exactly what you need. You can get exact sme kind or
equivalent substitute.