Posted to alt.home.repair
Nate Nagel Nate Nagel is offline

Default circuit breaker questions

Nate Nagel wrote:
OK... went shopping today for new circuit breakers. I'm now more
confused than ever. I'm attempting to add some additional branch
circuits to my house (see previous thread "house wired without separate
ground - problem?" he

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.h...1f663 31684da

if you're just joining the saga) anyway, I am learning how little I know
about electrical stuff despite feeling fairly familiar with the basics.
I have an ITE/Siemens load center with ITE type QP (I think?) breakers
in it. They appear to be standard breakers; looking at the assortment
of breakers available at Home Despot it appears that GE, Square-D
Homeline, and Cutler-Hammer breakers are all pretty much the same.
However, none of them specifically said that they were *LISTED* for use
in a Siemens panel. So what do I do? Also, what do HACR and CTL mean?
I'm not entirely sure I understand, even after a cursory Google
search. In an ideal world, I'd like to use a couple "tandem" 15A and
20A breakers if I could, to leave a double height slot free in case I
wanted to add a 240V appliance in the future.

Also, I was unable to find any of the "Madison straps" referenced in the
Sadly, Home Despot seems to be my only choice, I hit two independent
hardware store and there selection of electrical stuff was even more
limited.

thanks,

nate

Secondary question: Are the new AFCI's really worth it? and does
anyone make an AFCI breaker for my load center? Is it possible to use a
GFCI outlet on an AFCI-protected circuit? One of the circuits that is
still ungrounded in this house serves all the bedrooms, is why I'm asking.

thanks,

nate

--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.