Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ian Stirling Ian Stirling is offline

Default Replacing cordless drill batteries

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:
In article .com,
wrote:
Did a complete rebuild job on a hitachi battery
pack and was fine for light drilling work but as soon as you started to
apply more of a load the soldered battery connections melted! Remade
the connections twice (I'm an electronic eng. so I know how to solder
before anybody throws that in)

Err...

then threw the battery pack in the bin!
- would have been a good repair if I could have got them welded somehow.

They are welded to prevent heat build up to the cell which may occur while
soldering, and damage the cell.

I keep meaning to actually make a little mock-up of a cell (strong salt
solution on the inside of a thin steel plate, with a thermocouple on it)
to find out exactly how hot they get when using my preferred technique.

(basically clean very thouroughly, tin (0.5s) then attach a wire (0.5s))
The place where the wire is can be touched in under 2 seconds easily.

(I've posted a much more detailed explanation several times in the past)