Posted to alt.home.repair
Tom Horne, Electrician Tom Horne, Electrician is offline

Default Electric Meter Lugs

Bill wrote:
Following is a picture of a hex socket. Use it on your torque wrench and
tighten to the meter base manufacturer's specs (should say on meter base
label). Very important to get it the correct tightness. Also if aluminum
wiring, be sure to apply oxidation inhibitor (aluminum wiring goop) to the
wires before sticking them into the lugs. I use an old toothbrush to brush
it onto the wires.

Picture of hex socket not necessarily correct size.
http://www.hechinger.com/web/catalog...aspx?pid=87797

wrote in message
ups.com...
I am installing a new electric service soon. I have only one question
left. Edison gave me my new 200 amp meter pan, and the lugs have a
hex-head type bolt on them. What do electricians use to tighten this
lug? I am planning on using a torque wrench, to tighten the lug to my
copper service entrance wires, but what kind of socket do i use for
this?

Use a stiff wire brush to remove any oxidation from the conductors prior
to applying the anti oxidation paste. Apply the paste immediately after
you finish brushing.
--
Tom Horne

for general use." Thomas Alva Edison