Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Maplin - mains transformers

Clint Sharp wrote:
In message , .
writes
Peter Lynch wrote:
OK, putting aside any views of "they're not a serious vendor anymore,
they're only interested in selling toys" that people may have. Does
this paltry offering reflect lack of demand or is it just another
symptom of their decline?

Pete

it does seem like maplin are going the way tandy: quite useful, mediocre,
HOW MUCH ?, pfft old and busted, maplin is closing down ?

Just about sums it up in my opinion. Ideal if you want chav bling
gadgets but useless for anything a hobbyist might want. Far better off
supporting your favourite online components shop, I'm extremely lucky in
having a local independent component supplier who are actually very
knowledgeable although they don't open Saturdays.

Yep.

I found Cricklewood electronics was teh best place to buy enamelled
copper wire, for example.