Posted to rec.woodworking
CW CW is offline

Default Router Newbie--Missing Pieces?

It appears from the picture at the top right that the collet is in the
shaft. The part you see in the end with the splits in it is the collet.

wrote in message
ups.com...
Bought a Bosch router almost a year ago, but didn't have time to work
on the projects that I bought it for. Now that I do, I'm a bit stumped
how to put it together (Never used a router before.) I think I'm
missing parts. The shaft came with nut on it, but no collet that I can
recognize. There was a separate chuck that appears to have a 1/4"
collet, but I can't see how to attach it to the shaft. The directions
recommend using 1/2" shanks, so I suspect I may be missing a 1/2"
collet. I don't mind that, because I actually would prefer to attach
the 1/4" chuck, since I have some of those bits.

Here's a picture of the parts I have:

http://www.boundvortex.com/images/Chucks.jpg

Questions:

1) Am I correct that there appears to be a missing 1/2" collet, and
2) How can I attach the 1/4" chuck?

Thanks
(BTW, I have read the manual)