Tim Williams

Default OK, smart guys

"Jeff Wisnia" wrote in message
Regular NPT pipe threads cut to spec have a built in "spiral leak path"

along
the crests of the threads, and won't seal under normal torquing unless

some
sort of sealant, pipe dope or tape, is employed. A glance at the thread

form
diagrams in Machinery's Handbook will confirm that.

Ah yes, that's true. I wonder how dopey scale is...
I doubt aluminum would get very far up the spiral, of course. And even if
it made two turns, it still has a ways to go.

The "dryseal" threads are made with a thread form which seals tight

through
minor deformation of the metal parts. They are usually found on brass

parts to
enable that to happen easily.

Would that be the brass 1/4" MPT fittings I use on my propane?

Tim

--
"That's for the courts to decide." - Homer Simpson