Posted to alt.home.repair
Professor Professor is offline

Default advice needed to fixing this ceiling

"Grandpa" wrote in message news:O6s0h.26$Wy6.11@trnddc01...
Professor wrote:
Here are some images so you can see what I'm talking about

http://mysite.verizon.net/iunknown/Ceiling/index.htm

This is an old house and I'm not even sure how they made the ceiling
because I don't see any screws or nails holding it up. It looks like some
plaster was applied to the lattice and then sheetrock was stuck to it but
it's probably screwed in and I'm not seeing the screws.

I'm guessing to fix this I would cut out a square that encompasses the
entire hole then screw in large piece of sheet rock and use mud to cover
and smooth it out and sand it.

does that sound right ? Any recommendations on materials needed?

Thanks alot !!!

Wow, I've just helped my son fix something just like that. Its a double
layered plaster ceiling, there is no drywall. If the wood is sound, and
it looks it, then your best bet is to remove all the ceiling plaster to
the walls. Get some 3/8 thick drywall and screw it up to the slats.
Tape, mud and sand then texture it if you wish or just prime and paint
it with a good ceiling paint. I wouldn't even try to replaster that.

--
Grandpa

Thanks for the advice Grandpa !!!

That's sort of what I was thinking of doing but just only over that area.
The long term plan it to rip it down and make cathedral ceilings but that's
a couple years out.

I appreciate your wisdom !!