Posted to sci.electronics.repair
James Sweet James Sweet is offline

Default icemaker problem

Last batch, the fingers were stuck IN the ice, went to the appliance
parts store, they said it was probably something to do with the temp
sensor or the heater, told me there aren't any replaceable parts in a
modular icemaker anyway, far as I could see, that's true. Asked them
why the last one I bought at the same store only lasted 2 years, they
said that's about all I can expect with the cr@ppy water here in
Phoenix. Could be right, my fridge water is filtered but there was
still a lot of calcium buildup in the icemaker tray. Or, it could be
they sell you parts that will self destruct in 2 years, just to keep
you coming back. The parts store sure had a large pile of icemakers in
boxes, right in front of the counter. Bought a new one, plugged it in,
woke to the sight of ice in the bucket this morning.

Life is good,

Jerry

Wow, 2 years seems awfully short, the ice maker in my fridge is 5 years
old now and the one in my grandmas fridge was still going at around 30
years when the fridge was replaced for something else.

A good external water filter might help.