Posted to rec.woodworking
Ken Muldrew Ken Muldrew is offline

Default Fire hazards with oil finishes

"George" wrote:

"Ken Muldrew" wrote in message
(J T) wrote:

Tue, Oct 24, 2006, 6:16pm (EDT+4)
(Ken=A0Muldrew)
doth sayeth:
snip I've left them crumpled in plastic cups both inside (under
observation) and out in the sun on a hot day for up to about 6 hours.
snip

I haven't checked, but I'd suspect it might take longer than six
hours.

That was 6 hours in the sun. The cups were left on concrete blocks
forming the rim of a firepit so I just left them there until the rags
became stiff.

In any event, I wouldn't want to take chances on it not
happening.

Full agreement; I'm always very careful. I would still like to be able
to reproduce the phenomenon, though.

Sheesh! One would suppose the participants would have taken the advice given
earlier to the OP and LOOKED IT UP!

Calm yourself, George, there's no reason to get overly excited. We're
just having a friendly chat here. This isn't a crisis line or anything
like that.

http://irc.nrc-cnrc.gc.ca/pubs/cbd/cbd189_e.html

We may presume that the same conditions obtain south of the border.

Unfortunately they don't give the conditions; just some general
principles. As you can see from the quoted material above, cotton rags
soaked in linseed oil and left out in the sun do not always
spontaneously ignite. So the question was asked whether anyone knew of
a specific set of circumstances where such material would ignite. We
appreciate your efforts in LOOKING IT UP and we do hope that you
continue until you have a successful recipe to share.

Ken Muldrew

(remove all letters after y in the alphabet)