Posted to rec.woodworking
[email protected] fredfighter@spamcop.net is offline

Default Wood filler

Dave wrote:
I am making a picture frame that has three kerf grooves about 1/8" into the
frames. The plan calls for an inlay of a contrasting wood. I don't have
the right tools to make the inlays of wood and don't want to spend the
money on the wood for such a small project. My thoughts originally was
just to leave the kerf cut there as an accent detail, but after looking at
it and much thought I was thinking of using a dark walnut woodfiller in the
kerf cut grooves. Any thoughts on this? Will this stand the test of time
and last a lifetime?

If you use a good material it should be fine.

You can mix 3 lb shellac with wood flour to make a srned good
wood filler. Or you can do the same with epoxy and I've read
that you can use tempura paint pigments in epoxy. Or, if
grey is appropriate, use JB-weld, a metal-filled epoxy commonly
found in hardware stores.

Black walnut fades to an amber color as it ages, and it
also can take on a chatoyance that the fillers will lack.

--

FF