Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,misc.consumers.frugal-living
C. Massey C. Massey is offline

Default What's a good older washing machine brand/model?

"Mike T." wrote in message
reenews.net...
OK... I'll bite... Why wasn't Geo a "brand"?

Because there was no manufacturer named "Geo", and there was no single
company that was manufacturing automobiles under a dba "Geo". The cars
and SUVs sold (by GM dealers) as "Geo" were made by various car
manufacturers such as Suzuki and Isuzu and Toyota (that I know of), and
maybe other manufacturers as well. For example, just about everyone in
the known universe is aware that the Prism (labelled Geo, later labelled
Chevy) was actually a Toyota Corolla. Fewer people are aware that the
much-maligned Geo Metro was actually A re-badged Suzuki Swift. Suzuki and
Isuzu both made other vehicles which were labelled "Geo" and sold at GM
dealers. But "Geo" was just a label, NOT a brand. The brand of the Geo
Prism was Toyota. The brand of the Geo Metro was Suzuki. And so on.

In the same sense, "Kenmore" is just a label, it is NOT a brand. If you
can find a company called "Kenmore" which makes appliances sold by Sears,
I will eat my words. But no such company exists. There is no single
company with a dba of "Kenmore" that makes appliances for Sears, either.
Therefore, Kenmore is not a brand. It is a label.

The most you can say about Kenmore is that if you find something labelled
"Kenmore", it was purchased at Sears or K-Mart. If I purchased a pick-up
truck labelled "Craftsman", nobody would be stupid enough to think that my
pick-up truck was actually manufactured by Sears, or by a subdivision of
Sears called "Craftsman". Yet many people believe that "Kenmore" is a
division of Sears that manufactures appliances under the "Kenmore" brand.
It's idiotic in the extreme.

Even worse are various consumer groups that proudly proclaim that their
research indicates Kenmore is the best brand of blah blah blah . . .

(if anyone should KNOW better) Sheesh. -Dave

So, Linclon/Mercury isn't a brand? Pontiac isn't a brand? Oldsmobile isn't a
brand?

While I agree with you that many people probably think that Kenmore makes
the Kenmore brand, I still believe that Kenmore is a brand name.

This isn't worth arguing about. It's not going to solve the worlds problems.
You think that you are right and I know that I am right!