Posted to rec.woodworking
George Max George Max is offline

Default A gloat at Sears?!?!

On Thu, 26 Oct 2006 19:05:39 GMT, "Tim" wrote:

"George Max" wrote in message

Sorry to pee in your Cheerios, but Craftsman tools aren't much of a
bargain even if they're free.

Is that based on personal experience, or just nonsense you have heard?
I have had a craftsman TS and RAS for years and they are both very decent.
These tool seem alright also. Okay, they are not likely to hold up as well
as $250 tools, but they didn't cost $250.

Personal experience. Althought the 6" jointer was o.k. but I sold it
(too short for my projects). The TS (with webbed cast iron extension
wings) was about to get tossed for accuracy problems, but I ended up
modifying it with a Biesemeyer fence, link belt and steel pulleys.
The cast pullys at the time I replaced them were worn heavily enough
in the V groove that they were near failure.

All the electric hand helds that received any regular use died an
early death. Armatures up in smoke, bad switches, mechanisms that
were more noise than work and so on.

Allow me to qualify what I mean by use - occassional
hobbyist/homeowner use. Not pro.

Also, all my Craftman electric tools were initially bought around 1980
to 1985.

The TS lasted until this past weekend when I sold it. Curiously, it
went to the same guy that bought the jointer. His projects are
smaller. It also replaces a Craftsman TS that's simply gone cow ****.
I guess he's a masochist.