Posted to rec.woodworking
Jim Behning Jim Behning is offline

Default Is It A Good Time To Buy A Larger Shop...Maybe Or Maybe Not..

On Fri, 27 Oct 2006 05:40:07 -0500, Prometheus
wrote:

On 26 Oct 2006 12:30:41 -0700, "Too_Many_Tools"
wrote:

It is starting to look like it will be better to buy a bigger shop than
add on.

I wonder if one could gut a McMansion and redo it as a really nice
shop?

Would you even need to gut it? Last one I saw was real impressive on
the outside, but didn't even have trim on the inside. Just plain
drywall with orangepeel texture and big open rooms. It would have
made a hell of a shop, come to think of it.

But seriously, if you want to buy a new shop, and go the pole-building
route (the least expensive option if you want a big building with a
high ceiling,) most of the vendors run discounts during the winter, so
don't wait until spring to line them up. IIRC, 8-11% off in January
is not that uncommon. Stick frame isn't quite the same, as the
foundation needs to be poured when the weather is warm enough.

We do foundations all year round down here. The joys of living in the
south.