Posted to rec.woodworking
Phisherman Phisherman is offline

Default Jointer Cutterheads?

On Thu, 26 Oct 2006 22:00:34 -0400, "Mortimer Schnerd, RN"
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com wrote:

ectablesaw wrote:
I'm going to be upgrading to an 8-inch jointer in the near future and
am having trouble deciding which knife system to get. At $200+, is a
spiral knife cutterhead really that much better than regular knives? At
a cost of $400+, is a helical (4 sided cutters) cutterhead really
worth the money?

I didn't think so when I got my 8" jointer. I've seen no reason to change my
opinion either.

Logically, I'd think the spiral knife would be better at cutting
because there is more blade and the blade is slicing at an angle. Does
that $400 include lifetime sharpenings? Straight planer knives are
easy to sharpen.