Posted to demon.local,uk.rec.driving,uk.rec.caravanning,uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.motorcycles
Phil Kyle Phil Kyle is offline

Default Maplin - mains transformers

Harry Bloomfield verbally sodomised in
:

Sylvain VAN DER WALDE has brought this to us :
"Sylvain VAN DER WALDE" wrote in
message news:...

"Peter Lynch" wrote in message
I've just been on their website, looking for a transformer to power
my latest and greatest piece of futility (that's the DIY angle).

Looked up the mains transformer section and got a real surprise.
All their toriodal transformer range is listed as "discontinued" :-(
Just out of interest I looked up variants:
Their total stock holding of PCB mounted mains transformers come to 7
(5 of one type, 2 of the other)
So far as traditional mains transformers goes, most of the voltage
ranges only have single-figure stock levels. the only range that
has what I'd've thought of as practical stocks is the sub-miniature
range.

OK, putting aside any views of "they're not a serious vendor anymore,
they're only interested in selling toys" that people may have. Does
this paltry offering reflect lack of demand or is it just another
symptom of their decline?

They're opening a new store in Camden, London. What does that suggest
to you?
Don't ask me. I don't know.

Sylvain.

They got into the electronics enthusiasts market and as that
deteriorated, tried to move into commercial component supply,
completing with the likes of Farnell and RS. They didn't compete very
well and then moved into the 'toy' market, but retaining some relics of
their component business. Now it seems they don't know quite what they
are trying to be. Shame really, they were the first good national
source for electronics parts -better than Tandy/Radio Shack.

Yeah, never heard of them.

--
Phil Kyle™

h i