Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,misc.consumers.frugal-living
Art Art is offline

Default What's a good older washing machine brand/model?

you might be able to find a stripped Roper made for landlords new cheap enuf
to beat the used ones you are looking at. Noisy and low on features but go
forever.

"Doc" wrote in message
. net...
I'm probably going to have to get another washing machine since my ancient
Hotpoint has munched a seal and lubricant is leaking out.

A local appliance shop has a number of refurb'd top loader washers of
various brands - Roper, Maytag, Kenmore, Kitchenaide, Whirlpool, RCA, GE.
The ones they had on display ranged from decent in appearance to virtually
new looking. Supposedly they've all been gone through. Probably ranging
from
5 - 20 years old. Those that had model names visible were Kitchenaide
Quiet
Care, Superba. Kenmore Quiet Pak Plus. Whirlpool Ultimate Care Heavy Duty.

What's a good older brand or line within a brand that's known for tough,
dependable construction and also being repair friendly? Any to definitely
avoid? Any features that I should look for? I tend to go for simple, on
the
theory that there's less to go wrong.

Thanks for all input.