Posted to alt.home.repair
BobK207 BobK207 is offline

Default Panel TV wall-mount metal studs

wrote:
A. Lo wrote:
I've bought a flat panel TV wall-mount from futureshop for my condo living
room. The wall mount is made by Sanus(Sanus Adjustable Tilt Universal Flat
Panel TV Wall Mount (VMSAS-03) - online sale for $70 less!) and it has a
short extendable arm. Not until I returned home and looked at the specs of
my condo, and only to learn that I have metal studs in the dry-wall instead
of wooden ones.
In the instruction booklet of the wall-mount, it specifically said that the
hardware(assuming that they are talking about the long screws for the
mounting) provided in the package is only for wooden studs, not metal, not
concrete etc...
I've never installed anything like this before. What is the solution here?
Would I have to go to hw stores such as Reno-Depot or Rona to get the metal
stud fasteners? If so, I don't even know how they work vs. regular screws.
The mount itself weight already 35 to 40 pounds, and I assume that the panel
TV(which brand and model yet to be determined by my wife and I) will
probably weight abut 40 to 50 lbs(plus the short extendable arm). Any
expert here has any ideas on how to mount or what hw I should get to mount
this onto the wall? Your advice is much appreciated...

It really helps to understand that there are two types of stresses
involved at
the wall: shear- attempting to laterally displace .the mount along the
wall;
bending- resulting in tensile force at upper attachment(s) and
compression
at lower. Note also that the tensile/compression forces drop in
magnitude
as the attachment points are spread vertically. And they increase as
the
position of the c.g. of the assembly moves away from the wall.

A creative person can often manage additional load pickups to reduce
what could be critical stresses. But first, you've got to understand
what's
going on where. After all, you might want to have a safety restraint-
cable or fishing line maybe- in case tv takes flight.

HTH,

J-

Great description of the forces at the mount / wall interface......the
tensile forces are why glue alone is not a great idea.

The tensile forces at the upper edge of the plywood are resisted by
drywall paper tensile strength (through the thickness of the
paper)......not a very reliable load path

I wouldn't want to depend on paper strength to hold up my $X,000 flat
screen.

cheers
Bob