Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.woodturning
Bob Bob is offline

Default If you could ...

If I was starting over again I would first decide exactly what type of
things I wanted to make, build, turn. I'd stick with one area ie.
turning or carving or furniture etc. until I became "expert" at it.

I'd talk to those that I admire that do the same type of work. I'd
pick their brain for advice much as you are doing here. I find a good
mentor. I'd take lessons.

I'd start with the minimum number of tools I could get by with and they
would be the best I could afford. I'd think twice or thrice before
buying a new tool once the basics were bought.

I'd do it for my own pleasure rather than selling at least until my own
and family needs for what I produced was satisfied. I would enter
competitions if available in the field I chose.

Then I might try selling, but on my terms at my prices for quality
work!

For what its worth

Bob
London, Ontario

Bill wrote:
start all over again in this hobby / business / trade, what mistakes did
you make the first time around that you'd skip on the second go around?

I'm kind of looking for arrows pointing to where the land mines are.