Posted to rec.woodworking
Leuf Leuf is offline

Default Wood filler

On 26 Oct 2006 19:31:05 -0700, "Andy" wrote:

Any thoughts on this? Will this stand the test of time
and last a lifetime? What else do I need to consider with this idea? Any
suggestions at all would be greatly appreciated!!

Sure, I have some thoughts, though I have to say they're not based on
experience with the exact situation you describe, just conjecture.
I'd guess the wood filler would not last as long as real wood - I can
imagine it cracking, drying out, etc., and not looking very good. Why
are you concerned about the cost of wood to fill it in? Assuming 1/8"
x 1/8" strips, a piece of walnut that was 1" square x the length of
your frame should theoretically be more than enough wood, even with
losses to kerf width. Even if you got a 1x2" piece to have a bunch of
leftover, and it was 24" long, you're talking 0.33 bd ft, which is less
than $2 worth of decent walnut. Ask a local hardwood dealer if they
have a scrap bin. Maybe someone here would even be willing to send you
a little stick of walnut.

Rockler also sells 1/8" thick lumber, and I'm sure you can find enough
other stuff to buy to make the shipping less significant But yeah,
there's nothing wrong with having a bit of nice wood leftover for the
next time.

-Leuf