Dave Keith

Default OK, smart guys

I know I don't have a 4' pipe wrench ! But I tend to agree with another
poster who thought that molten Al doesn't flow well into cracks and
crevices. When we poured the split-nut in Al (not recommended) it barely
formed the 3/8-16 threads.

Dave

"JTMcC" wrote in message

"PhysicsGenius" wrote in message
news
http://physeeks.dyndns.org:8000/ging.../foundry.xhtml

Since I have no welder to attach a plate to a pipe, I got the pipe
nipple and endcap for my Gingery crucible. Got them home, put them
together and poured some water in to get a more exact volume
measurement. Water all over the floor. Now some are suggesting I need
to weld it. I do not, repeat, do not have a welder.

I couldn't tighten the endcap on all the way by hand. If I somehow
managed to get it on all the way, would it be water (and, more
importantly, aluminum) tight? How would I tighten it that far, when the
endcap is about 5 inches across?

Not that I consider myself a "smart guy", but I would truck it on down to
the local welding shop and have them run a seal pass around it. This is
going to be cheaper than buying the large size wrenches and vise needed to
crank that cap on.
Unless of course you know someone with 4' pipe wrenches.

JTMcC.