Posted to alt.home.repair
Charles Schuler Charles Schuler is offline

Default Expansion in outdoor tiles

"Walter R." wrote in message
I am having a contractor tile my outdoor patio. It is partly covered and
partly subject to rain and sun (Southern California, no freezing). The size
is 11x 40 feet. Tile size is 18" square.

The tile will be installed on a concrete slab, using thinset. Should the
contractor make some provision for heat expansion/contraction? Silicone
grout? Control joints? He says, no provision for expansion is necessary.

I'd check into the tile that he is going to use. Thermal expansion and
contraction might be a non-issue.