Posted to alt.home.repair
George George is offline

Default Boy, am I in the wrong line of work .........

PaPaPeng wrote:
On Wed, 25 Oct 2006 21:39:19 -0500, "Steve Barker LT"
wrote:

And when you replace it, buy a gas unit. Then you won't have to worry about
such things. (and you can cook properly on it too)

I love the speed and heat of gas but I will never have such an
appliance in my house, except the gas furnace. An open flame is too
risky in a frame built house. The possibility of a gas leak is also
dangerous - a house destroying explosion or gas poisoning. I know I
may be unecessarily alarmist. But on two occassions I did leave my
2000 watt range element at max for the hours when I was not at home.
A similar mistake like that with a gas range would have left me with
no home to come home to.

There is almost no difference. Electric elements certainly reach the
ignition temperature of almost anything that can be dropped or fall on
them. I can't imagine where leaving a gas burner on would be any
different than an electric element.