Posted to alt.electronics,alt.electronics.analog,sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.misc
David T. Ashley David T. Ashley is offline

Default Help Designing Light Airplane to Camcorder Adapter

Hi,

I'd like to use a camcorder in a light airplane, but I'd like the audio to
come from the aircraft intercom system (which carries both radio traffic and
crew conversations).

A typical light airplane has two jacks that you plug the headsets into. One
jack is I believe for the speaker part of the headset, and the other jack is
for the microphone.

So, I'm interested in interfacing from the "speaker" jack to a camcorder
"mic" or "aux" input.

The two things I'm concerned about a

a)Voltage differences in the signal.

b)Ground offset differences between the plane and the camcorder,
particularly if (later) I use a power adapter for the camcorder, which would
potentially link the ground reference of the plane with the ground reference
of the camcorder.

I would normally think just a voltage divider with a potentiometer would be
OK, but that doesn't cover the potential ground offset.

How do I findout what nominal voltage levels for airplane headsets and
camcorder inputs are?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks, Dave.

P.S.--Nobody seems to make such a product. I did find one product that went
inline with the microphone input of the headset, but that would only catch
one person talking. I'm interested in recording everything that comes to
the headsets, including radio traffic.