Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe Bemier Joe Bemier is offline

Default How do I align my table saw blade parallel to my miter slot?

On Thu, 26 Oct 2006 06:47:52 -0400, "Upscale"
wrote:

"Joe Bemier" wrote in message
However, FWIW, the blade should be aligned to the fence and then the
slot to the blade.

How do you align the slot to the blade since the slot is fixed in the table
top iron? Everything should start with the most difficult to align to the
easiest. So in order, it goes slot (which is fixed) then align the blade to
be parallel with that slot, then align the fence to be parallel to the
blade.

If there's some other method then please tell me, I'm all ears.

Well, it seems you use the factory insert - I don't. I have a variety
of inserts - all shop made to provide riving knife, zero clearance,
etc But even if I did use the original I would set my saw up
Fence-Blade-Slot. The slot is a default position (it ends up where it
ends up) after the fence-blade is correct.
IMO, you should start with alignment of the fence parallel to the
table...then fence to blade ...then the slot is defaulted.
However, in any well made machine there should not be too much
adjustment of the slot required if you follow the above.
I'd suggest that the slot is nothing but a hole that belongs where the
blade come up after proper alignment of the critical parts.