Tim Williams

Default OK, smart guys

"PhysicsGenius" wrote in message
news
I couldn't tighten the endcap on all the way by hand. If I somehow
managed to get it on all the way, would it be water (and, more
importantly, aluminum) tight? How would I tighten it that far, when the
endcap is about 5 inches across?

I don't see why (or how) it wouldn't. Pipe threads are made to seal...
As-is, the high surface tension of aluminum would probably hold it in,
especially with a nice heavy layer of scale which you need to toast onto it
first anyway. (Try for a good orange heat over the whole thing, minimum.)
Aluminum just doesn't tend to flow through pores.
'Course, "probably" isn't good enough, so find some nice monkey wrenches,
tighten it up, toast it, see if that works.

Tim

--
"That's for the courts to decide." - Homer Simpson