Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Rob offers his apologies.

Tim Daneliuk wrote:

2) Sadaam had already demonstrated a willingness to export his
nonsense*by*invading*his*neighbors,*funding*suicid e*bombers
among*the*"Palestinians",*and*playing*happy*host*t o*terrorists
living*openly*in*Bagdhad.

And now for the part I don't agree with :-).

Saddam invaded Iran with our backing (and our weapons). As to Kuwait, Iraq
has long considered Kuwait to be a part of Iraq, and invaded it only after
some ill considered remarks by our ambassador/envoy/whatever led him to
believe that we wouldn't intervene.

Yes, he provided stipends to the families of suicide bombers. This was wrong.
But he was hardly the only one in the region to give aid and comfort to the
Palestinians.

The bit about him hosting terrorists has been widely debunked. If there was
anything Saddam didn't want, it was a bunch of religious fanatics challenging
his secular rule. There were reports of some activity by terrorists in the
Kurdish area of Iraq, but that was in our "no-fly" zone and there's some
doubt whether Saddam even knew they were there.

--
It's turtles, all the way down