jim rozen

Default Spot Welder homebrew? Soldering gun?

In article , Jeff Wisnia says...

I think it could well be...The resistance (cold) of No.12 wire is 1.6 ohms/1000
feet, so the four inches or so of copper tip on my Weller would have a
resistance of only about half a milliohm. (And I bet if I actually measured and
calculated the tip would be closer to a piece of No.10 wire, so even lower.) The
pressure contacts are brass on copper, socked down damn hard. Consider
that...'eh?

And those guns won't work if the nuts aren't 'squeaky tight.'
My former boss actually calculated what was optimal - and it
turned out to be 5.25 inches of no. 14 wire for the tip,
bend into a hairpin shape.

Jim

please reply to: